Meeting with Finnish Ultrarunning Federation
On February 15th, 2021 IAU (Hilary Walker, Robert Boyce and Nadeem Khan) had a meeting with the Finnish Ultrarunning Federation (FUF) represented by Noora Honkala, Jari Tomppo and Fredrik Olaussen. It was a very fruitful meeting and the main objective was to introduce FUF to IAU. Ultrarunning is growing in popularity in Finland and FUF will assist the national federation in developing the sport.
The purpose of the federation is also to act as an ideological and functional liaison body for ultra-running clubs.
The task of the federation is
- Develop, steer and support the activities of member clubs
- Maintain and inform about ultra-running training events and competitions
- To elect / appoint a representation (national team) for international championships and to act as a liaison body for international sports federations and - competition organizations.
Other topics in the meeting
- FUF and the Finnish Athletics Federation has signed a co-operation agreement 07.12.2020
- Federations first task is to decide how the national team for the IAU championships will be selected
- Aim to arrange national championships in ultrarunning recognized by the athletics federation
- The aim is to assist in processing IAU Label applications.
- Aim to involve the trail running clubs into FUF
IAU Director of Communication