The Athletic Commission had the kickoff meeting on December 15th, 2018. This was the initiative that started the establishment of the Commission. Since then, the group was growing and in mid-2020 we had already 11 members. Most of the time the same athletes were part of the organization and in the last year we were working toward upcoming election as the athletes worked together for almost 5 years.
We are now presenting the outcome of work done by the Commission on the election process. The suitable IAU World Championships where we the election can take place will be in December during IAU 24H World Championships. This means we will start the process from June 1st 2023.
There are ten (10) positions available at the IAU Athletics Commission where six (6) will be elected, two (2) will be appointed by IAU Executive Council and remaining two (2) being IAU Executive Council representatives.
There are more details on Roles, Responsibilities, Composition, Term, Eligibility, Process, Timelines in the file provided in the link above.
With respect of the timelines those are the important dates for elections:
1. Nomination by Member Federations from June 1st till 31st August 2023
2. Vetting from 1st September till 14th September 2023
3. Candidates campaign starts from 15th September till 30th November 2023
4. Elections on 1st December 2023 in Taipei during 2023 IAU 24H WC
5. Council election approval from 2nd December till 14th December
6. Publication of the final list of IAU Athletes Commission members on December 15th 2023
7. Appointment period 2024 – 2028
8. Next election 2028
The information how and where to nominate the athletes will be provided to the Federation along with the document.
On behalf of IAU Athletes Commission
IAU Director of Communication