The aims of the challenge concept are:
- To develop running beyond the Marathon.
- To provide a platform for aspiring ultra runners to taste international competition.
- To promote events where athletes can prove they warrant selection by their National Federation for a future IAU Championship event.
- To provide an opportunity for National Federations to witness or even promote international ultra events on a much smaller budget.
- To promote events which are fully inclusive and to raise the profile of ultra running across the globe.
This years Nordic Challenge is an open competition for runners from Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Denmark. The IAU will present an IAU Challenge Trophy to the winning team, men and women. Scoring is calculated as the total of the best 3 runners distances. Individual competition is number 1, 2 and 3 for men and women and the Danish Athletic Federation offers a trophy for the individual winners. Runners should run in national colours singlet and where applicable the national ultrarunning organisation can select the teams.
There are very few ultra events located so close to a capital city and with such a scenic route. Set on the Islands Brygge right in the centre of Copenhagen, 1km from Copenhagen City Square and 1km from Copenhagen Central Station and around 17min. by train from Copenhagen Airport.
Please do not miss the opportunity to visit Copenhagen as there is also an “Open Race” where all recreational runners and runners from across the globe can take part in friendship and camaraderie and taste the delights of Nordic hospitality.